Want the latest News?
LARA VS ZAVECK Results and Highlights
Thursday November 26, 2015– Neither a rainstorm nor Jan Zaveck could deter Erislandy Lara as the Cuban-born southpaw convincingly defended his 154-pound world title for the third time with a third-round technical knockout in South Florida.
Following a rain delay, Erislandy Lara gained a third-round TKO of Jan Zaveck in an outdoor ring at Hialeah Park Racing & Casino in Hialeah, Florida. (Lucas Noonan/Premier Boxing Champions)
Lara (22-2-2, 13 KOs) was uncharacteristically aggressive as he dominated his 39-year-old rival from the opening bell, not wasting any time following a rain delay at Hialeah Park Racing & Casino’s outdoor arena in Hialeah, Florida.
After having an easy time of it in the first two rounds, Lara hammered away at Zaveck (35-4, 19 KOs) in a corner of the ring in the third, highlighted by a head-popping straight left that split the guard of the former 147-pound champion.
Early in the third, Zaveck turned toward referee Telis Assimenios and simultaneously gestured with his outstretched right hand toward Lara, who nailed his Slovenian opponent with a couple of punches to the head before Assimenios stepped in to protect Zaveck and waved an end to the fight at the 41-second mark.
Zaveck said afterward that he experienced a muscle spasm in his right shoulder that he believes was caused by a punch to the right side of his neck in the final round.
The technical knockout was Lara’s third straight win since losing a split decision to Saul “Canelo” Alvarez in July 2014. It was his first stoppage since he rose from a pair of knockdowns to gain a 10th-round TKO of Alfredo Angulo in June 2013.
- –The usually mobile Erislandy Lara uncharacteristically brought the fight to Jan Zavack during a first round in which the southpaw’s straight left rocked his adversary to the ropes, where he punished him with several combinations.
- –Lara again pounded Zaveck into the ropes with a straight left late in the second round, which ended with the Slovenian veteran again being punished along the ropes.
- –Lara was again dominating early in the third round when referee Telis Assimenios stopped the fight at the 41-second mark as Zaveck indicated that he no longer wanted to continue, later complaining of an injured right shoulder.
By: PBC Editor
Nuyelo is dedicated to providing healthy supplements to athletes and those seeking to enhance a healthy lifestyle. We give the best tasting, most effective, and balanced nutritional supplements ever!
Click HERE to check out the online Store!!
- Previous Bellator MMA 147 Preview
- Next Fight Network Presents UFC Fight Night Seoul Main Card & Pre-Show LIVE
Sorry - Comments are closed