Mixed Martial Arts Athlete Association was announced — Audio replay of the conference call
Wednesday, November 30, 2016— Five of MMA’s leading fighters came together for an industry re-defining mixed martial arts announcement. They created the Mixed Martial Arts Athlete Association. FightBookMMA Owner Roberto Villa attended the conference call.
The following were in attendance:
- Georges St-Pierre: 12-time Welterweight World Champion and free agent
- Tim Kennedy: Top Middleweight, Sergeant 1stClass and star of the History Channel’s top- rated show, Hunting Hitler
- Cain Velasquez: 2-time Heavyweight World Champion
- TJ Dillashaw: Recent Bantamweight World Champion and currently the #2 ranked Bantamweight in the world
- Donald “Cowboy” Cerrone: One of MMA’s most popular fighters
- Bjorn Rebney: Founder and former CEO & Chairman of Bellator MMA
The UFC is the world’s premier professional mixed martial arts (MMA) organization. The WME | IMG with strategic investment partners Silver Lake and KKR acquired the UFC for a reported $4 billion US.
During the conference call, Rebney stated that the UFC fighters are only making $0.08 on the dollar instead of what the standard is between sports organizations in the likes of NFL, NHL, NBA and MLB.
Rebney gave an example using the Major League Baseball (MLB) that in baseball if a player gets injured on the second day of his four-year contract he would get $25 million because of his contract. He also statdes that if a UFC fighter gets injured before the fight you get absolutely nothing.
Dinald “Cowboy” Cerrone and among other fighters on the same pay scale are deducted $10K from their fighter salary for medicals by the UFC. UFC fighters also have to pay their coaches, cutmen, training partners and pay their bills.
Tim Kennedy stated:
“We’re gonna change the face of an entire industry and sport today,” “We’re here to never leave somebody behind.”
George St-Pierre stated:
“We’re not going to be bought to shut ourselves up,” “We’re not going to let any fighters down. We’re here to stay.”
The MMA Fighters Association will be great for the UFC fighters and for the fighters at other organizations. All we have to do is wait and see what the future holds. You can listen to the full media conference call below.
By: Roberto Villa
LIKE WHAT YOU READ? COMMENT BELOW.
WANT TO HELP SPONSOR A FIGHTER? CLICK HERE.
- Previous Goiti Yamauchi Added to ‘Bellator 168’ Next Saturday on Spike
- Next Xiaomi ROAD FC 035: Kim Soo-Chul faces late stand in opponent Shimizu Shunichi
Sorry - Comments are closed
FightBook MMA Facebook
Help us keep the lights on.