UFC® BRINGS POWERFUL LINEUP FOR DEBUT IN NEW YORK CITY WITH THREE
WORLD TITLE BOUTS
(C) EDDIE ALVAREZ vs. (C) CONOR McGREGOR
(C) TYRON WOODLEY vs. (#2) STEPHEN THOMPSON
(C) JOANNA JEDRZEJCZYK vs. (#2) KAROLINA KOWALKIEWICZ
TICKETS FOR UFC® 205: ALVAREZ vs. McGREGOR
AT MADISON SQUARE GARDEN IN NEW YORK CITY
ON SALE FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 30
Las Vegas — For the first time in company history, the Octagon® lands in New York on Saturday, November 12. The historic Madison Square Garden will play host to the highly anticipated event and UFC® is bringing no shortage of star power to celebrate, as UFC® 205: ALVAREZ vs. McGREGORplays host to three world titles bouts, featuring four current champions, including Eddie Alvarez, Conor McGregor, Tyron Woodley and Joanna Jedrzejczyk.
Philadelphia’s Alvarez (28-4, fighting out of Philadelphia, Penn.) will make a short trip to the “Big Apple” for his first title defense against Irish phenom and featherweight champion McGregor (20-3, fighting out of Dublin, Ireland). Coming off a first round knockout of Rafael Dos Anjos, coupled with his championship caliber wrestling, Alvarez is the complete package. The 32-year-old finisher has 17 wins by knockout and five by submission and is looking to prove that he is the best fighter in the world with a win over one of the most popular and talented athletes in the sport while “The Notorious” one looks to become the first athlete in UFC history to hold belts simultaneously in two different weight classes. Already sitting atop the featherweight division and the No. 4 ranked pound-for-pound fighter in the world, McGregor is no stranger to making history and he hopes to do so once again in New York City.
In the co-main event, the welterweight world title will be on the line asWoodley (16-3, fighting out of St. Louis, Mo.) clashes with No. 2 rankedThompson (13-1, fighting out of Simpsonville, S.C.). Woodley possesses one-punch knockout power and is coming off a first round finish of former champion Robbie Lawler. A two-time NCAA Div. 1 All-American wrestler, Woodley is one of the most well-rounded athletes in MMA. Thompson is riding a seven-fight winning streak that has seen him finish four of those bouts via knockout. “Wonderboy” is a world champion kickboxer with a perfect 57-0 record, including more than 40 knockouts. Not likely to go the distance, this bout is an early contender for Fight of the Night.
Polish pride will be overflowing when strawweight champion Jedrzejczyk(12-0, fighting out of Olsztyn, Poland) looks for her fourth consecutive title defense against fellow Poland native Kowalkiewicz (10-0, fighting out of Lodz, Poland). Both women sport perfect records and look to leave The Garden with that “0” intact. Jedrzejczyk is widely considered to be amongst the top strikers in MMA, using her crisp, quick punches to keep her opponents at bay. Currently the No. 8-ranked pound-for-pound fighter in the world, the champion may have finally found her match in the striking department. Kowalkiewicz is also a Muay Thai champion and she uses that skillset to pick apart her opponents. With three first round finishes, Kowalkiewicz has finishing power in both her hands and in her jiu-jitsu attack.
- A welterweight showdown between surging contenders Kelvin Gastelum (13-2, fighting out of Los Angeles, Calif.) and Donald “Cowboy” Cerrone (31-7, 1NC, fighting out of Albuquerque, N.M.)
- Former middleweight champion Chris Weidman (13-1, fighting out of Baldwin, N.Y.) makes his hometown debut against Olympic silver medalist Yoel Romero (11-1, fighting out of Coconut Creek, Fla.)
- Top-ranked bantamweight Miesha Tate (18-6, fighting out of Las Vegas, Nev.) returns to the Octagon against No. 8 Raquel Pennington (8-6, fighting out of Colorado Springs, Colo.)
- Former lightweight champion and current No. 2 ranked featherweightFrankie Edgar (19-5-1, fighting out of Toms River, N.J.) collides with knockout artist, No. 7 Jeremy Stephens (25-12, fighting out of San Diego, Calif.)
- New York native and former light heavyweight champion Rashad Evans(24-5-1, fighting out of Boca Raton, Fla.) makes his middleweight debut against No. 13 Tim Kennedy (18-5, fighting out of Austin, Texas)
- Brazilian jiu-jitsu ace, No. 14 Rafael Natal (21-7-1, fighting out of New York, N.Y.) meets heavy-handed Tim Boetsch (19-10, fighting out of Sunbury, Penn.) in the 185-pound division
- Fan favorite Jim Miller (27-8, 1 NC, fighting out of Sparta, N.J) welcomes Muay Thai expert Thiago Alves (26-10, fighting out of Coconut Creek, Fla.) to the lightweight division
- Lyman Good (19-3, 1 NC, fighting out of New York, N.Y.) gets a home match when he meets fellow welterweight striker Belal Muhammad (10-1, fighting out of Chicago, Ill.)
- No. 9 bantamweight Liz Carmouche (9-5, fighting out of San Diego, Calif.) collides with hot prospect, No. 14 Katlyn Chookagian (8-0, fighting out of Kenilworth, N.J.)
For the latest information on additional bouts for this event, please visitwww.ufc.com. All bouts live and subject to change.
Tickets for UFC® 205: ALVAREZ vs. McGREGOR go on sale Friday, September 30 at 10 a.m. ET and are priced at $1,500, $1,000, $800, $600, $450, $250 and $100 (prices do not include applicable service charges and handling fees). Tickets are available for purchase online at www.ticketmaster.com and by phone at (800) 745-3000. Ticket sales are limited to four (4) per person. *Prices subject to change*
UFC Fight Club® members will have the opportunity to purchase tickets Wednesday, September 28 at 10 a.m. ET via the website www.ufcfightclub.com. A special Internet ticket pre-sale will be available to UFC newsletter subscribers Thursday, September 29 starting at 10 a.m. ET. To access this presale, users must register for the UFC newsletter through UFC.com.
UFC® 205: ALVAREZ vs. McGREGOR will be available live on Pay-Per-View on Saturday, November 12 at 10 p.m. ET/7 p.m. PT on UFC.TV, iN DEMAND, DirecTV, DISH Network, Vubiquity, and in Canada on BellTV, Rogers, Shaw Communications, Sasktel, and Canal Indigo for a suggested retail price of $49.99 US/CAN for Standard Definition and $59.99 US/CAN for High-Definition.
LIKE WHAT YOU READ? COMMENT BELOW.
WANT TO HELP SPONSOR A FIGHTER? CLICK HERE.