ATLANTIC CITY, NEW JERSEY – On the heels of PFL 1, the 2021 season of the Professional Fighters League continues tonight with PFL 2 featuring some of the top welterweight and light heavyweight mixed martial artists in the world. PFL 2 will emanate from the PFL Regular Season Bubble at the Ocean Resort Casino in Atlantic City, New Jersey.
Headlining tonight’s nine-fight card will be former UFC title contender and Bellator champion Rory “The Red King” MacDonald, who is making his PFL debut against former UFC and Bellator veteran Curtis Millender. MacDonald (21-6) has shared the cage with some of the best fighters in the world including BJ Penn, Robbie Lawler, Nate Diaz, Gegard Mousasi and Douglas Lima. He is a former UFC title contender and a one-time Bellator Welterweight Champion. Millender (18-6) meanwhile, steps in on short notice for 2019 PFL Welterweight Tournament finalist David Michaud. He has faced top-tier competition in the past including Kevin Holland, Thiago Alves, and Belal Muhammad.
In the co-main event, 2019 PFL Welterweight Champion Ray Cooper III begins his journey to becoming a two-time PFL champion by taking on Jason Ponet. Hawaii’s Cooper (20-7) is coming off back-to-back wins, while Ponet (20-12-1) will be making his PFL debut off the strength of four wins in his last five bouts.
Plus, 2019 PFL Light Heavyweight Champion Emiliano “Dogo” Sordi makes his 2021 season debut against UFC veteran Chris Camozzi. Sordi (22-8) is riding an impressive five-fight winning streak, while Camozzi (25-14) enters the PFL cage for the first time in his career.
MAIN CARD (ESPN2, 9 p.m. ET)
- Rory MacDonald def. Curtis Millender via submission (rear-naked choke) in Round 1, 3:38
- Ray Cooper III def. Jason Ponet via submission (arm-triangle choke) – Round 1, 1:23 – earns 6 points in welterweight standingsoao Zeferino def. Gleison Tibau via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28) – earns 3 points in welterweight standingsEmiliano Sordi def. Chris Camozzi via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 28-27) – earns 3 points in light heavyweight standings
PRELIMINARY CARD (ESPN+, 6 p.m. ET)
- Antonio Carlos Junior def. Tom Lawlor via submission (guillotine choke) in Round 1, 4:43 – earns 6 points in light heavyweight standings
- Cezar Ferreira def. Nick Roehrick via knockout (punches) in Round 1, 0:37 – earns 6 points in light heavyweight standings
- Nikolay Aleksakhin vs. Sadibou Sy declared no contest (Aleksakhin unable to continue from accidental eye poke) in Round 2, 1:56 – each fighter earns 1 point in welterweight standings
- Marthin Hamlet def. Dan Spohn via technical submission (arm-triangle choke) in Round 2, 0:52 – earns 5 points in light heavyweight standings
Roberto Villa is the CEO, Founder, Executive Writer, Senior Editor of FightBook MMA. Has a passion for Combat Sports and also a podcast host for Sitting Ringside. He’s also a former MMA fighter and Kickboxer.
#MMA #CombatSportsNews #BRAVECF #UFC #MuayThai #Boxing #Kickboxing #Prowrestling #BareKnuckleFighting