Whether you’re just entering retirement age or have long left the workforce, it’s never too late to take care of yourself. Fortunately, if you live in a warm climate, you have many opportunities to get out and enjoy the sun. Today’s we aim to inspire you to do just that.
Why Green Spaces Matter
There are many reasons that green spaces matter within a community. According to New Scientist, green spaces are good for your physical and mental health. Being outdoors also spurs socialization opportunities. All of these are crucial to healthy aging.
Outdoor Activities for a Healthier You
Being outdoors doesn’t necessarily have to mean hiking and biking. Although both of these are great exercises, there is so much more you can do to enjoy nature. A few ideas here include:
- Martial arts. When you begin a martial arts practice, you’ll gain confidence and discipline, increase your flexibility, and boost your self-defense skills. Get the most out of your practice by learning martial arts in a park or creating an outdoor dojo in your yard.
- Golfing. If you haven’t been golfing, it’s time to give the links a chance. Playing golf gives you the opportunity to spend time outdoors, socialize with friends, relieve stress, and exercise.
- Kayaking. Kayaking is another fun recreational opportunity. But, make sure that you go about it safely by using a lightweight kayak and letting a close friend or family member know where you’re going and when you plan to return, especially if you’re kayaking alone.
- Camping. One of the best ways to spend more time outdoors is to take a camping trip. Camping can relieve stress, get you fresh air, and improve your mood. Make sure you have all the equipment you need, including a durable tent, camping stove, sturdy backpack, and a lightweight and waterproof blanket.
- Volunteering. Do you love parks? Get outside and volunteer at one of the many parks in your state. You might also volunteer as a coach for a youth baseball team or as a docent at your local museum. Either way, you’re benefiting the community while also getting out of the house and doing something good for yourself.
- Grilling. Fire up the grill, because this is one of the most fun ways to enjoy the open air. Hosting a backyard barbecue is also an excellent way to get to know your neighbors. Do keep in mind, however, that foods cooked at high temperatures may contain compounds that can affect your health. If you plan to grill red meat frequently, let it marinate for at least 30 minutes, and avoid processed meats, such as hot dogs and bacon.
Ultimately, everything you do affects your mental and physical well-being. But, when the weather is right, you can’t ignore the benefits of fresh air and sunshine. As you settle into your retirement, make a point to take care of yourself, and let your efforts begin with the most abundant resources you have now: time and sunshine.
For the latest in MMA, wrestling, and martial arts, visit FightBook MMA!
Image via Pexels
#MMA #CombatSportsNews #BRAVECF #UFC #MuayThai #Boxing #Kickboxing #Prowrestling #BareKnuckleFighting