The International Mixed Martial Arts Federation is proud to announce a partnership with Peace and Sport, to help build peaceful communities through the power of sport and create a safer, more equitable and inclusive world.
The objectives of the partnership are:
- Collaboration through initiatives to promote peace, social cohesion, and coexistence among communities;
- Cooperation to improve living conditions for populations through MMA;
- Mutual facilitation of dialogues and communication between communities, using MMA and its values;
- Encouragement of education, training and responsibility amongst vulnerable youth, through the practice of MMA;
- Cooperation and synergy to promote, advocate and raise awareness of the power of sport for peacebuilding and diplomacy.
Peace and Sport President and Founder, Joël Bouzou, said:
“Sport, especially fighting sports demand discipline, respect of rules and of opponents. It requires determination and adaptability. For the last 12 years now, we have been committed to fight for peace. We are glad to partner with the International Mixed Martial Arts Federation as mixed martial arts combined with educational programmes and youth work can help to build self-confident resilient individuals and communities and a culture of peace”
IMMAF President, Kerrith Brown said:
“We, at IMMAF, are believers in the power of sport to bring people together and to transform lives. Fighting is in our DNA, and combat sports are unique in providing a structured pathway to channel these human instincts, providing a point of connection with some of the hardest-to-reach groups, including marginalised, war-torn and gang-ridden communities. MMA is a universal language recognised by youth worldwide and has proven its capacity to break boundaries and create fundamental common ground between different factions and individuals. Mastery of MMA requires personal transformation that includes the development of self-knowledge, self-discipline, honour and respect. The process of training to fight within a sporting context is an effective pathway to learning the skills of negotiation and to attaining peace.
“I welcome this partnership with Peace and Sport through which IMMAF can harness the tools of training in MMA to contribute to the mission of building peaceful communities and a safer, more equitable and inclusive world.”