Ariel Helwani tweeted on Tuesday that a new MMA league is being announced soon. The league is called World Fight League and is projected to launch in 2023.
According to Ariel Helwani’s website he published some exclusive information via sources within the league who want to remain anonymous. Check out the list below:
- The group is made up of several former/current professional athletes from the world of NFL, NBA and MMA, including multiple MMA world champions, five former respected MMA promoters, former MMA Executives and matchmakers, actors and recording artists
- According to sources, the WFL has been in the works since 2020 and the non-profit was established May 3, 2021.
- The league will consist of four conferences (North America, South America, Europe/Africa, Asia/Oceana).
- Each Conference will consist of no less than eight teams and no more than 24.
- Each team will roster 24 athletes, comprising of three athletes per weight-class.
- They are currently focused on launching in North America first, however, the framework is in place for a true world league.
- At this time, they have six approved franchise owners (four in the USA and two in Canada) and claim they have multiple proposals and applications being submitted for other teams.
- A conference will launch when there are eight respective approved team owners.
- According to sources, the CBA terms can’t and won’t be negotiated until they have a union of athletes established. However, any approved franchise owner has signed agreements that enforces certain terms and conditions they must abide by. Some of these provisions are put into place so they will not be able to take more than a 50 percent revenue share. Additionally, per sources, they must provide specific levels of health insurance, career-ending insurance, and pension plan for their athletes. When the union is established, the plan is for athletes and owners to finalize negotiations and agreements.
Roberto Villa is the CEO, Founder, Executive Writer, Senior Editor of FightBook MMA. Has a passion for Combat Sports and also a podcast host for Sitting Ringside. He’s also a former MMA fighter and Kickboxer.
#MMA #CombatSportsNews #BRAVECF #UFC #MuayThai #Boxing #Kickboxing #Prowrestling #BareKnuckleFighting