The Colchester crowd were on their feet in the Charter Hall tonight as hometown hero Sean Carter took Liverpudlian striker Tim Barnett to the final buzzer with a tremendous display of durability and heart in the Cage Warriors 105 main event.
Over all three rounds, grappling ace Carter attempted to close the distance to utilise his grappling repertoire but came off worse in the exchanges by way of Barnett’s piston right hand. Carter tried to catch Barnett with his trademark overhand right on multiple occasions but Barnett’s looked sniper-like on the feet, using his range and crisp boxing fundamentals to edge out the unanimous decision win after 15 minutes of action.
Donovan Desmae snapped his two-fight losing streak with an impressive knockout of Norwegian Alexander Jacobson in the co-main event. In the early stages of the second round, a composed Desmae managed to sidestep a misjudged strike from Jacobson and land a crisp and precise right hand to send “Bad Romance” to the canvas. Desmae finished off the job with ground strikes until the referee waived off the contest. It will be a definite relief for Desmae to correct his recent skid and he will be hoping for a fight with the returning Paddy Pimblett in the coming months.
To the pleasure of the Colchester crowd, Aidan Stephen and Steve Aimable provided fireworks as they locked horns in a mouth-watering contest which was predominantly fought on the feet. Both fighters threw a vast assortment of shots in some colourful exchanges and consistently went back and forth. With the first round feeling like a stalemate where both men were able to score a variety of significant strikes, momentum slightly shifted to Aimable when he connected with a flush right-hand part way through the second. Though Stephen regained his composure, it was clear to see that Aimable took a very slight edge by the final buzzer. Aimable walked out of the cage with his 4th consecutive win under Cage Warriors banner.
Another notable performance came from Mick Stanton as he overwhelmed Alex Montagnani over three rounds to get his hand raised via a lopsided unanimous decision. Stanton was relentless in his efforts to get the fight to the mat and pushed forward throughout the contest showcasing his ever-improving wrestling game, eventually overwhelming Montagnani with takedowns and top control until the fight closed.
Fans were also rewarded with another notable performance from Women’s strawweight prospect Cory McKenna. After a fast and furious start, Chinello managed to close the distance and execute a perfectly timed Koshi Guruma judo throw and put McKenna on her back. After a clever sweep from the bottom, McKenna rekindled grappling control, rolling Chinello and subsequently gaining mount. McKenna then rained ruthless strikes from the top until the referee decided to step and close the show with only 2:16 on the clock in the first round. The performance was as technical as it was vicious and in her post-fight interview, the 19-year-old admitted she wanted to make a statement in this one – she didn’t disappoint.
Prior to the main card taking place, both of the Pro Prelims ended in slick submission finishes as Nathan Fletcher slipped in a beautiful first round arm-triangle choke to grab the submission win over Rico Biggs and Steven Hooper caught Craig Edwards in a triangle to take away the win. Before that, the vacant Cage Warriors Academy Featherweight title was claimed by Gheorgita Tanasa as he dispatched Will Timmis with around one minute to go of the third round.
The full Cage Warriors 105 results are below.
Next up for Cage Warriors is CW106: Night of Champions on June 29th, when the promotion hit the Eventim Apollo for their biggest card of all time, featuring 6 world title fights. Tickets are still available here (https://bit.ly/30DpA2e).
– Tim Barnett defeated Sean Carter via unanimous decision (30-26, 30-26, 29-27) after 3 rounds
– Donovan Desmae defeated Alexander Jacobsen via TKO (Punches) after 0:23 of round 2
– Steve Aimable defeated Aidan Stephen via unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28, 29-28) after 3 rounds
– Mick Stanton defeated Alex Montagnani via unanimous decision (30-26, 30-26, 30-26) after 3 rounds
– Cory McKenna defeated Giulia Chinello via TKO (Punches) after 2:15 of round 1
– Steven Hooper def. Craig Edwards via Submission (triangle choke) after 2:44 of round 2
– Nathan Fletcher def. Rico Biggs via submission (arm triangle choke) after 4:46 of round 1
CAGE WARRIORS ACADEMY SOUTH EAST ACADEMY CARD
– Lee Anthony def. Caleb Combes via KO (punches) after 0:28 of round 1
– Conon Barbaru def. Ethan Barry via TKO (punches) after 2:59 of round 2
– Tommy Gibbs def. Chey Veal via Submission (guillotine choke) after 0:46 of round 3
– Joseph Parker def. Oli Hooley via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28) after 3 rounds
– Vacant Cage Warriors Academy Featherweight title – Gheorgita Tanasa def. Will Timmis via TKO (punches) after 2:46 of round 3