The hot topic in UFC news is what’s going on with UFC 249? Almost all major sports organizations have postponed their events due to the COVID-19 outbreak in the U.S. The UFC is attempting to keep and relocate their events in areas not affected by state bans.
UFC 249 pay-per-view card doesn’t have the main event scheduled yet due to that UFC lightweight champion Khabib Nurmagomedov is unable to leave Russia due to travel ban. Nurmagomedov was scheduled to defend his belt against Tony Ferguson but the promotion hasn’t been able to find a replacement opponent for Ferguson. This event was scheduled to take place in Brooklyn, N.Y., but due to the ban, the UFC was forced to cancel the event and now they are scrambling for a new location.
UFC President Dana White did state that he plans to announce the full UFC 249 card and location today Monday, April 6, 2020. The UFC is in talks to possibly have the event on Indian reservations or at a foreign country, where no public orders are prohibiting them from hosting fights. If this event is secured at this location that could be the venue used to future events. Should the UFC still try to make this card happen? Comment below and share your thoughts. Stat tuned to FightBook MMA as we continue to cover and share any updates regarding UFC 249.
UFC 249 Fight Card (so far):
Pay-per-view, 10 p.m. ET
- Tony Ferguson vs opponent TBA
- Jessica Andrade vs Rose Namajunas
- Magomed Ankalaev vs Ion Cutelaba
- Alexander Hernandez vs Islam Makhachev
- Calvin Kattar vs Jeremy Stephens
Preliminary Card #2
ESPN2, 8 p.m. ET
- Uriah Hall vs Ronaldo Souza
- Belal Muhammad vs opponent TBA
- Ottman Azaitar vs Khama Worthy
- Ben Rothwell vs Gian Villante
Preliminary Card #1
ESPN+, 6:15 p.m. ET
- Sijara Eubanks vs Sarah Moras
- Makhmud Muradov vs Karl Roberson
- Hunter Azure vs Umar Nurmagomedov