Las Vegas – Get to know Dana White’s Contender Series Jhonoven “The Samoan Savage” Pati.
The fourth season of the hit show Dana White’s Contender Series continues with Episode 4, featuring a lineup of rising athletes looking to make their dreams come true by impressing UFC President Dana White and earning a spot on the UFC roster.
The event takes place on Tuesday, August 25 at 8 p.m. ET / 5 p.m. PT, with all five bouts streaming exclusively on ESPN+ in the US. ESPN+ is available through the ESPN.com, ESPNPlus.com, or the ESPN App on all major mobile and connected TV devices and platforms, including Amazon Fire, Apple, Android, Chromecast, PS4, Roku, Samsung Smart TVs, X Box One and more. Fans can sign up for $4.99 per month or $49.99 per year, with no contract required.
NAME: Jhonoven Pati
NICKNAME: Jhonoven “The Samoan Savage” Pati
WEIGHT CLASS: Middleweight
AGE: 29 years old – 8/29/90
HEIGHT/WEIGHT: 6-1, 185
LEG REACH: –
BIRTHPLACE: Heidelburg, Germany (born on U.S. military base)
FIGHTING OUT OF: Copperas Cove, TX
LANGUAGES SPOKEN: English, Samoan
STYLE: Wrestling / Muay Thai
TRAINER: Kru Kasib, Chadrick Turner, Salvador Guerrero
TRAINING: Two to three sessions a day – one hour and a half to two hour sessions
PROFESSIONAL MMA RECORD: 6-3
Thoughts on opponent, Jamie Pickett? He’s just somebody in the way of me reaching where I want to be.
When and why did you start training for fighting? I needed competition in my life after college football was over and I didn’t get drafted into the NFL.
What ranks and titles have you held? ROC middleweight champ
Do you have any heroes? My father
What would it mean for you to fight in the UFC? It would be substantial for my family. I’d be doing what I love to do and the fact that it can provide for my family is just amazing.
Did you go to college and if so what degree did you earn? I earned my MA in Family and Crisis Counseling. My BS is in CRJ/PSY
What was your job before you started fighting? High school ref in VB, BB. Reffed for the military intramurals for 10 plus years. My most recent job was at a podiatry office, but I recently quit to pursue my dream fully in the UFC.
Specific accomplishments in amateur competition? 7-0 undefeated Top 10 in TX
- Ranks in any martial arts styles: Blue belt in BJJ
- Favorite grappling technique: Wrestling
- Favorite Striking technique: Muay Thai
- Twitter account name: SAMOANSAVAGEMMA
- Facebook account: SAMOANSAVAGEMMA
- Instagram account: SAMOANSAVAGEMMA
OTHER KEY POINTS:
- Pro since 2013
- Five wins by KO, one by submission (guillotine)
- Three first round finishes
- Coming off submission win over DWCS 4 competitor Joe Pyfer in November 2019
- Lost pro debut to UFC vet Ryan Spann. 6-2 since
- Fought UFC vet Punahele Soriano in October 2018 (Lsub1)
- Origin of nickname: “It came from my teammates and coaches. They said I train and fight like a savage and I’m Samoan.”