Kansas City, Mo.: Following the success of Phoenix Series 1, which saw a champion crowned and stars born, Invicta Fighting Championships today announced its second one-night, eight-woman tournament.
Phoenix Series 2 is scheduled to take place at Memorial Hall in Kansas City, Kan., on Friday, Sept. 6, and will feature eight elite flyweights engaging in high-stakes single-elimination competition.
The flyweight field competing at Phoenix Series 2 includes:
- DeAnna Bennett (10-5-1) – UFC veteran and former Invicta FC title challenger
- Milana Dudieva (12-8) – Three-fight UFC veteran
- Marilia Santos (10-3) – Dana White’s Contender Series veteran
- Maiju Suotama (8-4) – Strikeforce Challengers veteran
- Daiana Torquato (9-3) – Brazilian prospect on a seven-fight winning streak
- Cheri Muraski (6-2) – Three-fight Invicta FC veteran
- Liz Tracy (5-3) – Three-fight Invicta FC veteran
- Miranda Maverick (5-2) – Twenty-two-year-old prospect with six Invicta FC fights
Phoenix Series 2 follows the same structure as the prior tournament, with four quarterfinal bouts and two semifinal bouts each having a maximum duration of one five-minute round. The tournament’s final bout will be contested over three five-minute rounds.
Quarterfinal match-ups will be determined by random draw prior to the event and the quarterfinal round’s fastest finisher will be able to pick their semifinal round opponent from the three other advancing competitors.
In addition to the seven tournament bouts, two traditional, non-tournament bouts have been announced for Sept. 6:
- Alexa Conners (5-3) drops down to flyweight to face promotional newcomer Mariya Agapova (6-1), fresh off an appearance on Dana White’s Contender Series opposite Invicta veteran Tracy Cortez
- Josee Storts (1-0) and Helen Lucero (0-0) make their Invicta FC debuts in a flyweight affair
Play-by-play voice Laura Sanko and analyst Jimmy Smith return to call the Phoenix Series 2 action, streaming live and exclusively on UFC FIGHT PASS at 7 p.m. CT on Friday, Sept. 6.
Welcome to FightBook MMA Presents: Sitting Ringside. We're not your cookie cutter show but what we do bring is news and topics from all aspects of the fighting game. The show is hosted by CEO of FightBook MMA Roberto Villa, Arlow Jumper, and David Rodriguez.