Rob Font suggests ‘best-case scenario’ interim title fight against Petr Yan next

Font
Mandatory Credit: Chris Unger – Zuffa LLC

Off the back of arguably the most high-profile victory of his UFC run, the #3 ranked bantamweight contender, Rob Font has laid out his best-case scenario for his next Octagon appearance; an interim title tilt against former undisputed gold holder, Petr Yan.

Headlining UFC Vegas 27 last weekend, in his first promotional headliner, Font scored a hugely impressive unanimous decision victory over former champion, Cody Garbrandt over five rounds — lodging his fourth consecutive victory in the process.

The New England Cartel mainstay failed to move higher than his #3 perch at 135lbs, but with the victory over former gold holder, Garbrandt — he solidified his status within the division’s upper-echelon and primed himself for a potential title-eliminator next ahead of the July 24th. UFC Fight Night main event between the #2 rated, Cory Sandhagen, and the returning former two-time titleholder, T.J. Dillashaw. 

Planning on a rather quick turnaround to remain active following his win over Garbrandt, Font suggested an interim title showdown against Dudinka striker, Yan next, as the best-case scenario for him. Current champion, Aljamain Sterling is still recovering from a surgical procedure, which is expected to sideline him until the latter quarter of the year — delaying an immediate rematch with Yan.

Best-case scenario?” Font said during a recent interview with MMA Fighting. “They (the UFC) give me Petr Yan right now and we get it going. Maybe do it for an interim belt, but I doubt that happens. We’ll see what’s up, but give me Petr Yan. He’s the only one available, the fans want to see exciting fights and I know that’s an exciting fight and then I’ll take care of the belt for him. Just sit back, don’t worry about the belt, I’ll take it for him.

If the promotion elect against scoring Yan a return instead of an immediate title rematch against Sterling, Font has no qualms about facing either the victor or falterer from the aforenoted pairing of Sandhagen and Dillashaw.

Or, the loser, winner, whoever, of the (Cory) Sandhagen – T.J. Dillashaw fight,” Font said. “I definitely don’t want to wait that long, though. But you never know what happens if someone gets hurt, injured, that’s another waiting list I could potentially be on. Realistically, I know I don’t want to fight backwards (sic). I’ll be patient. I’ve sat (out) a year and I know what that feels like. There’s no need to fight anyone that’s behind me right now.

With the unanimous decision shutout over Garbrandt, Font extended his winning spree to four fights, following a high-profile December knockout win over former bantamweight title chaser, Marlon Moraes, and a pair of unanimous decision wins over Ricky Simon, and current Bellator MMA bantamweight titleholder, Sergio Pettis. 

--------------------ஜ۩۞۩ஜ--------------------

#MMA #CombatSportsNews #BRAVECF #UFC #MuayThai #Boxing #Kickboxing #Prowrestling #BareKnuckleFighting

1 thought on “Rob Font suggests ‘best-case scenario’ interim title fight against Petr Yan next

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

%d bloggers like this: