Las Vegas – UFC® will debut in Lincoln, Nebraska with a battle of lightweight contenders guaranteed to deliver fireworks, as No.7-ranked Justin Gaethje faces No.10 Al Iaquinta. Plus, it’s a clash of dynamic flyweight contenders, as No.6-ranked John Moraga goes for his fourth straight win when he takes on undefeated No.14 Deiveson Figueiredo. UFC FIGHT NIGHT®: GAETHJE vs. IAQUINTA goes down Saturday, Aug. 25 from Pinnacle Bank Arena and will air live on FS1.
Though he’s only made three trips to the Octagon®, Gaethje (18-2, fighting out of Arvada, Colo.) has already proven to be must-watch television. Each of his UFC outings have earned Fight of the Night honors, with ‘The Highlight’ also taking home a Performance of the Night bonus for his spectacular TKO win over Michael Johnson in his UFC debut. Following consecutive wars with Eddie Alvarez and Dustin Poirier, Gaethje is set to re-assert himself as a title threat in the stacked lightweight division.
A heavy-handed striker, Iaquinta (13-4-1, fighting out of Wantagh, N.Y.) turned heads this past April when he stepped in on one day’s notice to face Khabib Nurmagomedov. Though he came up short, Iaquinta put on a gutsy performance that firmly established himself as a 155-pound contender. During his UFC run, Iaquinta has netted impressive wins against Kevin Lee, Ross Pearson, Joe Lauzon, Jorge Masvidal and Diego Sanchez. Iaquinta now looks to crack the division’s top 10 with a show-stealing win over Gaethje.
A former flyweight title challenger, Moraga (19-6, fighting out of Phoenix, Ariz.) has fought the 125-pound division’s best. Over the course of his UFC stint, he’s delivered impressive victories against Wilson Reis, Magomed Bibulatov, Justin Scoggins, Dustin Ortiz and Chris Cariaso. Moraga hopes to continue his ascent to another championship opportunity by handing a surging prospect his first loss.
Though he only made his UFC debut one year ago, Figueiredo (14-0, fighting out of Soure, Brazil) has already turned heads in the flyweight division. After stopping Marco Beltran in his debut last June, the rising star edged out Jarred Brooks before earning a dominant TKO win over Joseph Morales. Figueiredo is now poised to crack the top 10 if he can score a spectacular victory against Moraga.
Additional bouts on the card include:
- In a battle of strawweight contenders, No.11-ranked Alexa Grasso (10-2, fighting out of Guadalajara, Mexico) takes on No.15 Angela Hill (8-4, fighting out of San Diego, Calif.)
- The Ultimate Fighter season 23 winner Andrew Sanchez (10-4, fighting out of Fairfield, N.J.) looks to get back in the win column against Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu black belt Antonio Braga Neto (9-3 1NC, fighting out of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil)
- Former Alabama Crimson Tide linebacker Eryk Anders (10-1, fighting out of Birmingham, Ala.) locks horns with Tim Williams (15-4, fighting out of Millville, N.J.)
- Omaha native Drew Dober (19-8 1NC, fighting out of Denver, Colo.) aims to keep his momentum going when he meets The Ultimate Fighter veteran Jon Tuck (10-4, fighting out of Hagatna, Guam)
- Submission ace Rani Yahya (25-9 1NC, fighting out of Brasilia, Brazil) goes for his third straight win against tough prospect Luke Sanders (13-2, fighting out of Nashville, Tenn.)
All bouts live and subject to change.
UFC FIGHT NIGHT®: GAETHJE vs. IAQUINTA will air live on FS1 at 10 p.m. ET/7 p.m. PT on Saturday, August 25, with the prelims kicking off the evening on FS1 at 8 p.m. ET/5 p.m. PT and on UFC FIGHT PASS® at 6:30 p.m. ET/3:30 p.m. PT. Doors open at 5:30 p.m. ET/2:30 p.m. PT.
Tickets for UFC FIGHT NIGHT®: GAETHJE vs. IAQUINTA go on sale Friday, June 29 at 10 a.m. CT and are priced at $143, $113, $88 and $63 (does not include fees). Tickets are available for purchase online at www.ticketmaster.com. Ticket sales are limited to eight (8) per person.
UFC Fight Club® members will have the opportunity to purchase tickets Wednesday, June 27 at 10 a.m. CT via the website www.ufcfightclub.com. A special Internet ticket pre-sale will be available to UFC newsletter subscribers Thursday, June 28 starting at 10 a.m. CT. To access this presale, users must register for the UFC newsletter through UFC.com.